The Most Versatile Mug
The BOT – 700 is a 700 ml titanium mug with a watertight titanium lid. As such, it’s a multipurpose item extraordinaire! What might you use it for? How about to:
- soaking foods before cooking to reducing cooking times and fuel usage while improving taste!
- scooping water or foods
- cooking single entree meals or boiling water for beverages
- measuring liquids or ingredients
- storing an entire cook kit or other gear while on the move
- holding just about anything to keep them clean and off the ground
Where we think it shines the most is in pre-hydrating or pre-soaking foods for an hour or more before you are ready to cook. Imagine taking a few short minutes during a break (about an hour before you end hiking for the day) to start preparing your dinner. Simply pull out your empty BOT – 700 and pour in a freeze-dried meal along with the amount of water it calls for (usually around 1-2 cups) and give it a good stir. Then, just screw the lid on tightly, put it back in your pack or in the side water bottle pocket and keep on hiking! When you get to camp, your meal should be fully hydrated and only need enough heat to warm it up. Or it can be enjoyed as-is if going stoveless. Easy!
Why is pre-hydrating meals a good idea?
- It requires less cooking time (warming food up vs. boiling water first, then waiting for meal to hydrate and cool down).
- It requires less fuel to cook and carry since you’re taking less time to warm up your meal.
- It’s tastier since your meal has the time to fully rehydrate. No nasty hard, crunchy bits to break your teeth on!
- It opens up your menu options with foods that might otherwise take longer to cook (e.g. beans, legumes, some grains, seeds, etc.)
In short, pre-hydrating your meals takes less time and fuel and provides greater menu options with tastier results!
How do I use it?
To use, simply add your food and the necessary amount of water and let it soak until fully rehydrated (about an hour or two depending). Experiment! Watch our video below to learn more.
WORD OF CAUTION: Because you’ll be rehydrating food for some time before cooking, your meal will enter the “Danger Zone” (Yes, cue Archer). The “Danger Zone” is the temperature range between 40°F – 140°F (4°C – 60°C) where illness causing bacteria grow the most quickly. The USDA recommends not leaving foods in this zone for more than 2 hours (or no more than 1 hour if temps are above 90°F/32°C) by either refrigerating foods below or cooking them above the “Danger Zone” temperatures. On the trail this means one can soak their meal for approximately 2 hours before needing to heat it up to above 140°F/60°C or more depending upon what you are cooking. For the full USDA recommendations, visit their “Danger Zone” page: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/CT_Index
What if the lid gets stuck?
Just like the BOT, the BOT – 700 can become vacuumed sealed if there’s a difference in pressure between the outside and inside of it (elevation changes, hot food inside that cools over time, etc.). Fortunately, there’s a super simple fix that we’ve written about here: https://blog.vargooutdoors.com/screwing-around-with-the-bot-unsticking-a-stuck-lid/.
How do I clean it?
Cleaning is a much easier than normal pots and pans and only takes 8 oz to do so (1 cup)! Here’s our suggestion:
- For initial rinse, after your meal add 2 oz. (1/4 cup) of hot or cold water to the BOT – 700, screw on the lid, and shake for a few seconds. Remove lid and drain.
- Add another 2 oz. (1/4 cup) of hot or cold water and a few drops of biodegradable soap, screw on the lid, and shake again. Drain water.
- Add another 2 oz. (1/4 cup) of hot or cold water, screw on lid, and shake. Drain.
- Repeat step #3 again for final rinse.
Be sure to follow Leave No Trace principles by washing your BOT – 700 200 feet or more away from water sources and never directly in one. Fling dishwater out over a wide area to decrease the chance of attracting wildlife.
The BOT – 700 is available now through specialty retailers and www.vargooutdoors.com.
BOT – 700: $99.95
- Pure grade titanium
- 100% biocompatible
- 700 ml capacity
- Watertight screw-top lid
- Lid doubles as cooking lid
- Temperature resistant O-ring
- Graduated measurements
- Foldaway handles
- Easy to clean
- Weight: 4.4 ounces (125 grams)
- Capacity: 700 ml (23 oz)
- Diameter: 4.1 inches (105 mm)
- Height: 4.8 inches (122 mm)