Okay, we’re coming clean now about our overwhelming bias that there isn’t a better way to dig a cathole than with a trowel, and there’s no better trowel than the titanium Dig Dig Tool™. Here’s why…
As ultralight backpackers ourselves, we understand and live by the ultralight backpacking philosophy and seek to incorporate it into everything we make. It’s truly the better way to enjoy the backcountry with more fun, comfort, and safety. And as a gear maker obsessed with creating lightweight, multi-use products out of titanium, it was only a matter of time until we set our sites on revamping the oft forgotten, neglected, or eliminated piece of equipment from most gear lists–the humble trowel.
We know what many of you are thinking…”Why would a trowel be worthy of inclusion on a ultralight backpacking trip?!” Besides being a single use item and/or not worth the weight, we’ve all been taught to use tent stakes, trekking poles, sticks, or even the heel of our shoe to dig our catholes. OR if we do carry a thin, lightweight metal trowel, we’re willing to put up with the excruciating pain of using that trowel even though it digs into our hands more than the ground it’s suppose to dig.
Anatomy of a Proper Cathole
A proper cathole is planned and carefully executed. Yes, pooping in the woods takes thoughtfulness to be done correctly. Here are some general guidelines from our friends at Leave No Trace:
- Locate your cathole at least 200 feet (about 70 adult steps) from any water, trails, or campsites. Select an inconspicuous are where other people will be unlikely to walk or camp. Everyone will secretly thank you.
- Dig your hole 6-8 inches deep (3/4 to the full length of a Dig Dig Tool™) and 4-6 inches in diameter (1/2 to 3/4 the length of a Dig Dig Tool™) . In a hot desert, human waste does not biodegrade easily because there is little organic soil to help break it down. In the desert, the cathole should be only 4-6 inches deep. This will allow the heat and sun to hasten the decay process.
- When finished, the cathole should be filled with the original dirt and any toilet paper (biodegradable toilet paper and nothing else or pack it out!) and disguised with native materials.
Who loses out if you don’t dig a proper cathole? Mother Nature and everyone else who follows after you…
In short, in order to do your duty (double entendre!) properly, you need to carry the right tool for the job. Enter the titanium Dig Dig Tool™! Part trowel, part tent stake, yet 100% awesome!
As a trowel the Dig Dig Tool™ is:
- made from strong, lightweight titanium that’s more durable than plastic or aluminum
- much better at cutting through tough ground and roots thanks to its serrated, saw-like edges (most trowels can’t do this!)
- much more comfortable to use with its rolled edges and hand-fitting handle (seriously why do they make trowels that hurt so much to use or too tiny to do the job?!)
- actually designed to work like a real shovel with its ergonomic shape which can be used two-handed for better digging ease and efficiency.
Altogether these features allow users to easily follow Leave No Trace™ principles for burying human waste better and more efficiently (and can we say FUN!) than other trowels on the market.
When not digging superior catholes, the Dig Dig Tool™ excels at securing guylines for your shelter because:
- its wide U-shape has greater surface area for holding steadily in hard and soft soils alike,
- it can be used as a deadman anchor in snow or sand,
- and its large center hole and boat cleat-style cutouts work with various size guylines and ensures they stay tightly in place.
Can You Dig It?
Yes, yes, you can and the Dig Dig Tool™ is the right tool for the job. Elevate your cathole game make sure you pitch your tent perfectly each time by getting your own. Don’t let Mother Nature or your shelter down ever again.
BUY IT NOW!
The Dig Dig Tool™ is available now at specialty outdoor stores worldwide and online at www.vargooutdoors.com.
For more information and images, visit: http://www.vargooutdoors.com/dig-dig-tool.html.
Vargo Dig Dig Tool™ – MSRP $24.95
- Dual use trowel and tent stake saves weight and increases versatility
- Made from strong, lightweight titanium that’s more durable than plastic or aluminum
- Ergonomic design for digging ease and efficiency. Works like an actual shovel!
- Serrated edges cut through the tough ground and roots that other trowels can’t
- U-shape holds well in all soil types, snow, and sand or use as a deadman anchor
- Comfortable rolled handle won’t “dig” into your hands
- Weight: 1.25 ounces (36 g)
- Length: 8.1 inches (20.5 cm)
- Width: 1.7 inches (4.4 cm)
Watch the video!